Thursday, September 29, 2011

A visit to the Arts Recycling Centre


Last weekend while Traci was visiting we had a full day of bargain shopping. It was hard out and a day which you would need to be seasoned bargain spotters. 
Think there is probably a market for bargain shopping training days :)

One of our stops was at the Arts Recycling Centre here in Palmerston North. 
It's a regular treasure trove.


This corner, for obvious reasons, is my very favourite part of the centre.
Mainly because I like to rummage through all the sliding draws.


I especially like this draw.....


...but Traci was enjoying hunting bargains in the fabric room.


And I found some lovely crochet cottons which are great for hand quilting or embellishing.

On wooden reels too, oh, and pegs.

And I found a lovely book, I'll show you tomorrow.
What bargains have you found lately?

Carole :)

16 comments:

Heavens2Betsy said...

Oh these finds are all so lovely and it looks like an Aladdin's Cave in there. I would so love to browse this wonderful place full of gorgeousness! penny

jacaranda said...

A Textile Artist's paradise. You could spend many hours rummaging through it all. What a great way to spend a day on retail therapy.

suziqu's thread works said...

What an amazing recycling centre!
You did well!
Happy lambing!!!
Hugs from Suzy

shirley said...

I wish we had a recycling centre like that we seem to like the same things.

Jennifer said...

What a fabulous place! Wish we had one of them here.

Traci said...

This was truly an awesome place... I can't believe you hadn't taken me there sooner!

Linda said...

That is a wonderful place! What a great idea!!! A specialty thrift shop..... love it!

Iz said...

OMG, just as well I live nearly 12000 miles away...my recent "finds" include a genuine Cornish canvas fishermans smock. It's huge, it comes down to my knees, but I don't care, I found it and it's mine!

Michelle said...

Oh my...how fun that must be to see the treasures there!

Nathalie Thompson said...

What a great place to rummage and glean (wish we had one of those here!)

I am off to the the thrift store this afternoon so I will have to report my finds later... :)

Tatkis said...

Oh my, it should be a great place! I'd love to spend a whole day there :)))

Hugs,
Tatyana

Lynette (NZ) said...

Thanks for the tip - i keep forgetting to look for treasure there :-)

Stitchbird said...

I see I am going to have to plan a trip up to Palmerston North. What an amazing place. And can you tell me what street it's on, just in case I can't stay away :).

Margaret said...

good grief, have you mentioned this before?? did I miss it?? eek!!! I could live there, really I could, fab!

quilterinmotion said...

An Arts Recycling Center? How lucky you are!!! I would love to spend time in one of those, but my hubby would be unhappy seeing me come home with my arms full!

Sandy said...

If you recycle your stuff, then you could influence more people to follow your example by being more vocal about it. A way to let other people know about your recycling activities is to snap a picture of yourself while at work. Here's the application for doing just that. http://youtu.be/qxQn-00Rr7s