Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A transformation in the garden.....

Remember these from a few posts ago? I am growing quite a number of swan plants in order to single handedly re-populate the place with monarch butterflies! There is a skill in making sure you can cope with the number of eating machines that strip all the foliage off the plants. Although I've got quite a few plants, I've had to be a bit ruthless with the numbers of caterpillers, in order to make sure that they didn't strip the plants completely. However I do believe that they will eat pumpkin!! And guess what's growing wildly in my garden at the moment?

I've had chrysalises all over the garden, ......
...... but now this is happening ......


AND I'VE GOT THESE!!!


MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

A couple of days ago I counted 8 monarch butterflies flittering and floating around the garden! How exciting!
What do you have that's "flittering" in your life at the moment?

Carole;)

5 comments:

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh how cool is that!

Joy said...

Oh they're so pretty!!! When my son Ross and his wife Alicia got married a couple of weeks ago they released monarch butterflies from a box after the ceremony ... it was just beautiful.
Hugs,
Joy :o)

Unknown said...

how lucky you are - I would happily give garden room to any of these!!

Laura Kay said...

Yeah!! Butterflies!!! How very cool that you are able to watch from begining to end! In my garden, we are just comming out of winter, birds looking for seeds and a few green specks of those hardy plants.

~*~Patty S said...

WOW such fantastic photos of one of nature's most awesome transformations. You captured it perfectly Carole! Nothing like that happening here in Virginia, still winter :)