Monday, July 30, 2012

being creative in the kitchen

It's my daughter Traci's 27th birthday today, and we've both taken the day off work to spend together. But I thought I should make a special birthday cake for her this year, so I attempted to make a Red Velvet Cake.
Amongst the ingredients it has 30ml of red food colouring in it and 2 desert spoons of cocoa, and 6 eggs, and made a rather large cake! I used 3 tins and everything was going well until I tried to get them out of the 'well greased tins' and you can guess what happened next! (of course the name of my blog gives it completely away!!)
Anyway they stuck to everything including the tin, one cake broke completely in half, one cake split in half, half sticking to the tin and half coming out, and one almost came out ok, but left a chunk in the middle stuck to the tin. You can imagine by now that I'm being very good natured about all this!

But once the icing had gone on, you couldn't tell any difference. Doesn't it look gorgeous? And of course it has to have birthday bunting! lol

The best thing was that Traci loved it! And my it did taste good! The frosting in the layers and on the outside was made of cream cheese and white chocolate, mmmmmmmm!!!!

However, as nice as it tastes, I'm not sure that I will make another on any time soon!!

Gotta go, cake's waiting!

Carole x

Here is the link to the recipe I used. (for those brave women amongst you!)

8 comments:

Linda Jo said...

It is beautiful! What a good mom you are! I hope she had a wonderful birthday.... and I would love to have a piece of that cake!

Jennifer said...

Happy birthday to your daughter! The cake looks good.....once it's in your mouth the broken bits don't matter.

Jenny said...

Amazing cake:) I bet it tastes as good as it looks!!

Annette said...

If a cake breaks on the way out of the time don't the calories disappear? So you can eat as much of the cake as you like? :)
hugs

Annette said...

That's meant to be tin, on the way out of the tin...
blast..

hugs

Magpie's Mumblings said...

That cake looks delish! Happy birthday to your lovely daughter.

roseroomnz.com said...

oh haha, sorry but too funny! from brushes to cakes and cake tins! I had that happen,not with Red Velvet though, but a Butter Cake a few short hours before the guests arrived for the 80th birthday party I was catering for! Your cake looks divine all the same but will pass on the recipe, I predict disaster for me if I go there! Rachael xo

Shane Pollard said...

OMG Carole that is one amazing cake - I hope you put my piece aside to bring when you come up!!
You're one multi-talented gal that's for sure!
x
Shane