Tuesday, December 4, 2012

nesting problems solved

Oh oh, problems in the hen house!
I've run out of bedding for the nest boxes. The lady who owns them, (I'm baby-sitting) says they don't like straw, she had the nest boxes filled with wood shavings!

They are very fussy hens, I've grown loads of silverbeet in my vege garden especially for Dianna Ross and The Supremes to eat, but oh no, they don't like silverbeet. I hunted through the strawberry patch and removed all the fat juicy snails for them to eat, not on your nelly!!

So I decided that I'd scrunch up some newspaper and put that in their nest boxes and see what happened. They were very curious at first, but they slowly got used to it. But then I found an old birds nest and I put that in too.

Wouldn't you know it! They love it!
Now I've just to find 3 more birds nests!

Have a great week,
Carole


6 comments:

Elizabeth Johnson said...

How funny. Who would have guessed they would be so particular.

Unknown said...

It just shows you how very particular chickens can be :-)

Annette said...

Those chookies are obviously too well fed .....
hugs

~*~Patty S said...

how sweet!
you are a good mother hen LOL
didn't realize you were still hen sitting in the midst of all else you have going on!
oxo

Linda Jo said...

Nesting issues are the worst! I have two nests that are in trees in the front yard I wish I could send you. Would New Zealand postal authorities be upset?

Unknown said...

happy hunting...I love the names...they make me smile.