Thursday, July 25, 2013

What a wonderful Symposium!!

Well, it's all now but a memory, but what a wonderful memory it is!
2500 enthusiastic and talented women took part in the five days of stitching fun, all tutored by a dedicated and inspirational team of tutors that live to share their ideas with others.
 I thought I'd share a few pics of my week in Taupo teaching my three classes. Hope you can get some idea of the enjoyment and creative gorgeousness that was happening over the week. I'll post over a couple of days so that I can stop and get some dinner in between!
The trip started well with a picturesque trip through the Desert Road in the central North Island. (There's a huge mountain hidden in that low cloud). There were No Stopping signs up and the snow had been graded to the sides of the road. And when I got to the northern end of the park the cloud cleared and there was a stunning vista of mountains.
Then it was on to Taupo and to unload my car, check out my classroom (below), which was set up for 16 students ready to go.
Then it was onto the Great Lakes Event Centre to drop off my exhibition piece to be hung with the other tutor's quilts. While I was there I decided to have a walk round and look at all the beautiful work. I didn't take 100's of photos as there were so many beautiful quilts. But I did have a favourite. 
This was my favourite. It was called Apron Strings and it was made by the very clever Jeanie O'Sullivan. What do you think?
Then it was onto to find the tutor's exhibition.
And there it was, hung on the wall. It was included with works from artists like Pam Holland, Susan Brubaker-Knapp, Susan Cleveland, Robbi Eklow, Gwen Marston, Jenny Bowker, Michelle Hill, Gloria Loughman, Lisa Walton, and some very exciting New Zealand artists like Joanne Dixey, Hazel Foot, Jane Rixon, Sonya Prchal, Noeline Johnston. Just to name a few. 
After admiring all the quilts, I checked in and got ready for the opening ceremony.
This is the view from my room.
Easy on the eye don't you think?
Back tomorrow with a few more pics for you. 
Carole x

8 comments:

Nicky said...

Love your mountain pics, and so good to hear you had a great time, looking forward to the next post...

Jennifer said...

Oh my.....that brings back memories of driving a motorhome on the Desert Road in a snowstorm! Symposium looks like a great time.

Raewyn said...

I've heard that it was so good, Carole. Sadly I had to pull out at the last minute....family comes first. I have registered for the next one...! Hope your classes went well.

Charlotte Scott said...

Did you see the back of Jeanie's quilt? I spent one morning as a white glove lady constantly lifting the back up to show the apron with a gorgeous old-fashioned saying on it that was sewn in!

Unknown said...

Wow - not easy on the eye but AMAZING ON THE EYE

When we stayed at Lake Taupo, I could never have imagined that it got snow! What a transformation

Maggie R said...

Hi Carole
Looks like a fabulous spot for a quilt show.. Beautiful work and the countryside is awesome.. forward to more pics.
Hugs
Maggie

Linda Jo said...

So much beauty in one post! I LOVE, I mean LOVE.... snow covered mountains. Reminds me of my days living in California! Your quilt is MY favorite! It's beautiful. But your favorite is pretty great, too! This symposium looks like it was awesome! Can't wait to see more!

Unknown said...

Love your favorite too! The yo-yo border is unique. What a lot of work!(small patches!) And what a stunning view you had!