Monday, September 22, 2014

Blog hopping

The very talented Catherine Parkinson has invited me to take part in an international Blog Hop. As I never have before, I thought I would.

It involves me answering a few questions and providing the link to Catherine's Blog so you can see what wonderful work she creates, (and she has this amazing quilt called Floating that you MUST see!) and then, giving you the link to another wonderful artist somewhere in the world.

First up I want to show you some Madness, 'cos that's what I'm all about really!


This weekend I've been teaching a Journal Journey class to a wonderful group of girls. I can always tell it's going to be a great class by the amount of disorder there is in a class. I'll post some more photos soon!

The first question is what am I working on at the moment? I am working on several projects, as we all do. One is a large quilt which will be an enchanting mix of old and new, heavily embellished. It's coming along nicely.





The second project I'm working on is this quilt. These are the first blocks almost finished. It just needs joining. Of course there are many more to make yet.

And anyone who has been following me on Facebook will know I have spent a lot of time on this of late. What is it you ask? Well it is my very first novel. Women's fiction, all 221,000 words of it! It has been a labour of love for the last gazillion years and it's almost at publishing stage!

How does my work differ from others of its genre? Several aspects make my work different. First I love to embellish, and in some cases embellish excessively. I also love to use free motion stitching in much of my work. Lines of stitching don't have to be straight, seams don't have to match, when I'm creating it's all about the journey and having fun along the way. I also challenge people in my classes to be somewhat 'freer' with their creations, not to worry if they make a mistake, the world doesn't stop, and everything can be repaired  -  and if not there's always embellishing! LOL


Why do I create what I do? Why do we create what we do? I love to re-purpose everything. I'm a hoarder you see, so it happens that I collect everything that passes my way. I love to embellish and I find these work well on the smaller items that I make. However, I'm finding that more and more embellishments are working their way into my larger quilts, which is surprising and exciting.

How does my creative process work? Often if I've decided to make a quilt, or a smaller project for that matter, I need to leave the fabrics spread out on a table in my studio for several weeks.Sometimes something speaks to me straight off. I'm very tactile and love to create things with depth that I can interact with, even if it's just that the viewer can run their hands over it.

This quilt that I'm working on at present started with a block I made some years ago. I loved the fabric and made a block up. It has sat on my inspiration board for a long time. Over that time I have got it down and placed it with other fabric, nothing spoke to me. Then after all these years, I came across some fabric which I bought, rushed home with and suddenly there was a quilt! I could see the blocks, the fabric was perfect for the design in my head.


Sorry about the nudity, but unfortunately Buddy likes to stretch out in front of the fire without regard for anyone!

Although I think Facebooking has taken over from blogging in numerous ways, I miss the blog family out there. It's a shift with the times, it's so much quicker and easier for many people to fly in and out and with one single click of the 'Like' button they can let you know they dropped in and they love what you do.


 If you'd like to participate in the Blog Hop and share a little about yourself, please leave a link to your blog in the comments! We'll come on over and say hi!

Carole x

7 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

cool photos

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Great post! I was just about to email you to see if you'd been asked to take part and saw that you had....mine will be 'up' on the 29th.

Raewyn said...

Great to read your post Carole. Gosh I didn't know you were an author as well! I'm enjoying these bloghop posts ( I did one a few weeks ago).

Jenny said...

Gorgeous pics, Carole - I love your work :)

Linda Jo said...

Love all the pics! Your life is very exciting and full these days! We need to have LIKE buttons on our blogs now!

Jen said...

Hi !Carole. Loved seeing your art of embelishing and stitching. And your days must be full with writing a novel.

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

It's always so much fun to visit your blog! So inspiring!!!