Sunday, September 7, 2014

It's spring here in my garden!

Did I tell you how much I love spring? Today was a beautiful day.

                                  

The Kowhai trees are breaking out into bloom which of course brings the tuis. The birds feed on the nectar and each morning there are about 30 birds feeding. The trees are late to flower this year, but it won't be long before the lawn turns into a carpet of yellow. The birds a hard on the flowers and break lots of them off. 

        

I've got lots of pretty daffodils out too, almost an overload of yellow!

         

These are flowering outside the studio. The little wax eyes are enjoying the apples at this time of year too. There were four trying to eat this one. It hangs outside my kitchen window so I can see who visits. 

        

It was lovely to hear from those of you who left comments on the last post, it was interesting to hear about what you feed and who pinches it first! 
I hope you are all having a lovely weekend!

Carole x

9 comments:

littleRamstudio said...

So interesting to see birds we just don't know about here in the UK.
Heather :)

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I've never seen a Kowhai tree before - so beautiful!

Ali Honey said...

Your kowhai looks a beauty. We don't get them to flower very well. Pretty daffs too. There was some real warmth in that sun yesterday - things will just shoot away now.

Mosaic Magpie said...

I am unfamiliar with the tree and the birds...beautiful!
Deb

Pallas said...

Your garden flowers are lovely, and it is fun to see the different birds you have in New Zealand compared to what we have in Kentucky or California.

Linda Jo said...

I love that tree!!!!!! Gorgeous!

Jenny said...

Hi Carole - springtime is definitely my favourite season too - fabulous pics - I've got a kowhai in flower too - such an amazing flower - the wood pigeons think so too:)

Unknown said...

Spring has got to be my favorite season of the year, probably because all life are revivifying in their own individual paces, which is just magical. The close up of the kowhai blooms is really lovely. Thanks for sharing such wonderful pictures! I hope you're in the best of health this season.

Melva Ulman @ MPDT

Cheiro de Chuva said...

Eu amo flores amarelas e gostei muito do seu blog> Abraços! Cris Kaspar