Sunday, December 21, 2008

One door closes, another opens.....I hope!!!

I am now officially unemployed! Last week after being on "special leave" from work for the last 5 weeks, the "issues" were resolved. I left.
After weeks of counselling, visits to doctors, stress leave from work, I left.
I am totally amazed at how much difference a change of staff can make in the work place. The people you work with, can make your work place an enjoyable place to be, or they can make it very unpleasant!

Now I face a whole new range of issues, what do I do next? Where do I go from here?
I was employed as a Community Services Officer, I spent a lot of time dealing with the community, but I also published a community newspaper. I took the photos, wrote the articles, did the editing, sold advertising and did all the design work. Work of this nature is pretty thin on the ground.
I think I will designate the month of Jan to preparing a CV. Then hit the "streets" beginning of Feb. At least then I won't have to compete with all the university students!

Wish me luck!

Here is a couple of pics of the quilt I have been working on. It is all ready for quilting now. What do you think? It is made using New Zealand fabrics.



Hope you've all had a great weekend!
Carole ;)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carole, glad it has all worked out. Enjoy the break over Christmas before you look for another job.
Cheers Jenni

Unknown said...

I wish you every success in finding work which you enjoy in the New YEar. Although I now have a job it is not what I want to be doing so I am still looking. I have two more interviews this week (hope I have some good news for Christmas) otherwise it is back to serious job hunting in the new year. Good Luck and have a restful Christmas

Jackie's Stitches said...

It only takes one person to make a work environment miserable. I hope that in the new year you find a great group to work with in a job that you enjoy! And remember in your interviews that it is just as much about whether or not you want them as it is whether or not they want you.

Unknown said...

Your quilt is stunning (as usual!) The fabrics are just beautiful and unique! Taking January off sounds like a good idea. Merry Christmas and a PROSPEROUS New year!

Altered Route said...

Beautiful quilt!! Love the colorful fabric on black, just beautiful! Good luck with job searching...there is a perfect job.
Connie

Margaret said...

all the best for your job hunt, who knows what'll come up, perhaps a whole other direction. Love the quilt, it's come together really nicely, I bought the paua shell fabric last time I was home! All the best for Christmasanda good start to the New Year xox

Joanie Hoffman said...

My best to you!
The fabric in the quilt is gorgeous.
Happy days,
Joanie

Jennifer said...

Good luck in the future - life is too short to spend it stressed. I have been where you are now and the feeling of freedom, when walking away from a situation that does this to you, can't be described.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Enjoy your time off, January is soon enough to look for a new job. Change of staff once did a job in for me too - I basically told them to take the job and shove it! and I was out the door and my stress level went down immediately and my lupus went back into remission!! how great was that, didn't need the job anyway (luckily I didn't need to work if I didn't want to) and I got to enjoy my quilting.
Merry Christmas
Karen in USA
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Jacq said...

Sorry to hear about all the troubles you have been having. May you find January a month of renewal and rest. Are you able to retire?

Leeann said...

Just wondering how you quilted this quilt in the end. I can't seem to find it on your blog. I have just made one myself and I'm looking for inspiration for the quilting. Don't want to do 'ditch'!