Sunday, July 5, 2009

building up to it

I have been shown how to correctly hand quilt, how to make a neat start and how to finish. I've got my perle cotton to use for the quilting, I've got my 2 thimbles, one for the top and one for the bottom. I've got my roll of masking tape, to mark out straight lines. But I just can't pick the quilt up and start! I've shifted it all over the house, I've even put it beside my tv chair so I can pick it up and work on it while I'm listening to tv. No go Joe! It's not happening. Why? Well you know what's putting me off? What little aid that it monumental in such deviance and avoidance?
Yep you've got it! The darn quilting hoop!!!
I have never used a quilting hoop, I've always found them akward and inhibiting. And now I've been told I have to use one in order to hand quilt properly! Bummer!
I'm going to have to bite the bullet and as Nike would say, "Just Do It!"
Whoose great idea was this anyway???

Carole ;)

4 comments:

Doreen G said...

It's not the hoop that's my problem it's the thimble.
Hell I hate those little things.

Margaret said...

maybe you just need to start! although given how much stuff you've got to grapple with I can understand your reluctance. Perhaps you could use the hoop as a frame for a mixed media work, fill it with things that annoy you, cover it with paint and ta da no more hoop or thimbles! and the quilt, erm? machine sewing??!!

~*~Magpie's Nest said...

Just do it has gotten lots of projects started Ms Carole ;)
I think ruminating a bit is a good start too :)

Unknown said...

Um, if you didn't use a hoop, how would you keep all of your layers from slipping about?

Margaret cracks me up! ha ha ha ha