Saturday, February 6, 2010

TA DA!


Here it is all finished! (queen bed size) And he loves it!!

Made from black Japanese cotton and 100% batik cotton.
There has been a lot of interest in the type of cotton I used to quilt this. I used King Tut extra long staple Egyptian cotton, colour # 918. It comes in 500 yard reels, (cost me $15 per reel). It recommends on the reel label to use a topstitch needle #90/14, however I didn't read that and used my regular quilting needle. I used this thread in the bobbin as well which has given me delighful patterns all over the back of the quilt as well. And because I did that I used 2 and 1/2 reels. This cotton is imported into NZ, so I'm thinking you must be able to buy it in other countries too.

I used to always use a cotton in the bobbin that blended with the fabric on the back, but after a class with an award winning quilter, she told us to use contrasting thread in your bobbin, not to hide our work! (she is of course, assuming our quilting is good enough to want to be shown! LOL) I love the back of this quilt just as much as the front!

I love it when a plan comes together!

Carole :D

13 comments:

Priscilla said...

WOW!!! That is stunning Carole!

By Hoki Quilts said...

Carole, it's brilliant in every way and I'm so glad to have seen the finished quilt after reading about your progress now and then. Obviously it's not too hot up there otherwise you just wouldn't be able to quilt if it was as hot as here on the Wicked West Coast LOL.
hugs
Miche'le

Jennifer said...

That is a really beautiful quilt! If 'he' didn't like it I would be glad to take it off your hands......*grin*

Deb said...

OMG Carole, it is a stunner. How could your darling man not love it, its fabsulous. Well done you!!

Deb said...

OMG Carole, it is a stunner. How could your darling man not love it, its fabsulous. Well done you!!

Jen xo said...

oh wow Carole, what an explosion of color!!its just stunning....

thanks for the cotton info, i will see if i can find some...jenxo

Jen xo said...

ooooh lookie.. i found some and they have 10% off ...
for the aussie girls...
http://www.ozquilts.com.au/superior-king-tut-thread-c363.html

i does look really nice...jenxo

Unknown said...

JUST AWESOME!!!!! I wish I could make a quilt like it! OR I wish I could own this one!!! Stunning colours - just so yummy I can't find words to express it!!

Julz said...

AWESOME - brilliant use of colour, great quilting - you should be feeling damn proud of your great quilt. Hugs Jx

Annika said...

It´s lovely! Impressive!

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

GORGEOUS Carole!!!
What a treasure you've created for your someone special!!!
You must be SO very pleased with it!!!
oxor

femminismo said...

Very colorful quilt to keep the blahs from creeping into life. A good hint about contrasting thread, too. Stay warm under this and have good times on it.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Amazing! I love it!