Saturday, February 6, 2010
Here it is all finished! (queen bed size) And he loves it!!
Made from black Japanese cotton and 100% batik cotton.
There has been a lot of interest in the type of cotton I used to quilt this. I used King Tut extra long staple Egyptian cotton, colour # 918. It comes in 500 yard reels, (cost me $15 per reel). It recommends on the reel label to use a topstitch needle #90/14, however I didn't read that and used my regular quilting needle. I used this thread in the bobbin as well which has given me delighful patterns all over the back of the quilt as well. And because I did that I used 2 and 1/2 reels. This cotton is imported into NZ, so I'm thinking you must be able to buy it in other countries too.
I used to always use a cotton in the bobbin that blended with the fabric on the back, but after a class with an award winning quilter, she told us to use contrasting thread in your bobbin, not to hide our work! (she is of course, assuming our quilting is good enough to want to be shown! LOL) I love the back of this quilt just as much as the front!
I love it when a plan comes together!